Style Switcher

Text Resize

Government of Puducherry

Forest and Wild Life

Forest & Wild Life Wealth in UT of Puducherry :

The Union territory of Puducherry does not have forest resources in abundance. The total recorded forest area is 13 sq km as per India State of Forest Report, 2011. The Forest cover has been reported to be 50.06 sq km which is 10.43% of its geographical area. 96.50 % of forest cover comprises of Plantations & Trees Outside Forests while the remaining 3.50 % comprises of Littoral & Swamp Forests. Tree cover in the UT has been estimated to be 31sq km that is 6.44% of its geographical area.[Detailed report can be accessed at]

The territory is endowed with a rich diversity of wild life, Avi fauna(birds) and Reptiles in particular.[Pl. see the details in deptt. site]

Programmes & Activities of Forest & Wild Life Department:

The main mandate of the department is maintenance of green cover and taking measures to increase the area under forest and tree cover since only 13 sq kms of the territory has natural forests. The National Forest Policy has advocated bringing of 33% of geographical area of the country under green cover. Social forestry by supplementing the efforts of conventional forestry activities in forest areas therefore aims at enhancement of green cover.

The Department implements two major Plan programmes:

  • Social Forestry
  • Preservation, Conservation, Protection & Development of Forests & Wild Life

Activities of the department encompassing the afore mentioned programmes are :

  • Creation of forests for the society. This entails creation of greenery outside the forest areas with the involvement of society i.e members of public, youth either individually or as a community.
  • Protection and enrichment of natural forests, mangroves in particular.
  • Distribution of seedlings of flowering, fruit bearing and tree species free of cost to individuals and institutions.
  • Encouraging the farming community to adopt latest technology and practices for cultivation of improved and high yielding forest crop like Casuarinas and Eucalypts.
  • Planting of saplings in backyards, premises of educational, govt. and private institutions.
  • Afforestation in forest and govt. land like revenue poromboke, tanks, road side and coastal areas.
  • Seedling production at two nurseries located in Mettupalayam and Lawspet in Puducherry besides nurseries at Karaikal & Yanam.
  • Creation and maintenance of bio shield plantations along coastal stretches.
  • Afforestation of tank beds and tank bunds.
  • Regulation of tree removal and Compensatory afforestation for development priorities.
  • Regulation of operation of Saw mills & Wood based industries in the UT.
  • Wild Life rescue and rehabilitation activities.
  • Operation of Animal Rescue Centre in Puducherry.
  • Management of Oussudu Wild Life Sanctuary, the first protected area in the UT.
  • Marine turtles conservation programme
  • Extension programmes targeted at students and general public for awareness generation on environment and bio diversity conservation.
Back To Previous Page | Page last updated date: 02-02-2023