Economics and Statistics
This Directorate was set up in 1957 with the nomenclature Bureau of Economics and Statistics.
- Functions as Statistical Authority and Nodal Agency, for all official statistical activities in the U.T. of Puducherry
- Serves as a focal point of information for formulation of sound policies and perspective Planning by the administration on various topics/subject matters.
- Acts under the guidance of Central Statistical Office – National Sample Survey Office – National Buildings Organisation – New Delhi, and Labour Bureau, Simla for implementing the Central Sector Schemes and Surveys.
- Keeps close liaison with various Ministries at the Centre and implements Centrally Sponsored Schemes as per their directives.
- Maintains the Regional Offices at Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam.
- Renders effective database in management and information networking services to the user agencies through modern communication gadgets.
- Statistical techniques drastically improved and simplified over the past decades.
- Uses extensively of Digital modes – Online regular publication and updation – Mini-printing facility for efficient and timely data submission to Government and other organisation /Agencies.
- Consists both statistical data collection wing and Publication Wing with the following responsibilities.
- Estimation of State Domestic Product
- Collection of Agricultural Statistics
- Collection of Price Statistics
- Conduct Socio-Economic Surveys including Evaluation Studies.
- Compilation of Indices relating to Industries
- Evaluation of Plan and Schemes, and
- Dissemination of standardised data on various official statistics through periodical publications.
Back To Previous Page | Page last updated date: 02-02-2023