Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
An independent Department of Agriculture was established in the Botanical Garden, Puducherry as early as in February 1955 with an Agricultural Officer as the Head. Under the French rule it was looked after by "Service Economique", a common unit responsible for maintaining various services.
The first major milestone in the development of the Agricultural Department was the establishment of a State Seed Farm at Madur, Karaikal during the 2nd Five Year Plan (1956-61). Another State Seed Farm was also established at Madagadipet, Puducherry during the 3rd Five Year Plan (1961-66), besides a model Orchard in an area of 8 acres.
An Experimental-cum-Research-Cum-Demonstration Farm was run on a 25-acre leased land at Kirumampakkam during the 3rd Five Year Plan. But the Farm was closed on 30-9-1969 due to lack of funds for land acquisition. The Experimental Research Farm was finally set up at Karaikal adjacent to the State Seed Farm, Madur.